Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Bertha the Guppy and her new fry!

Bertha's finally done it! She's giving birth! I guess she isn't a breeder trap kinda gal. It was my first time putting a guppy in a trap and I think just having a small birthing tank is better. Sure some of the fry get eaten but a good number survive. I've got several ladies anyway so every few weeks somebody's giving birth.

Bertha yesterday Dec 13  

I think she started giving birth this morning and there may be about 20 to 30 new fry at the moment. They are easy to spot (maybe not from my pictures lol) which are Bertha's because they are much smaller. They are pink just like Spot's fry when they were first born. Even though Spot's fry were only born a couple of weeks ago, they are significantly larger than the newborns.

Bertha today around noon after giving birth to at least 30 fry.




Bertha still looks pretty large and boxy so I'll leave her in the birthing tank at risk of maybe eating some of her own fry until she's a bit slimmer. I got her when she was already huge so I don't know what she looks like normally. When I woke up and saw the new fry I put some fish food in and Bertha ate about 4 or 5 flakes like she was starving. Then after awhile she would go after food but then spit it back out. Like I said, she might have a bit more in there. I wish it had worked out in the breeder so I could count the fry but I'd rather Bertha live to breed again then die from stress.

And I end today with a video of the new fry swimming about.

No comments:

Post a Comment